Thursday, July 18, 2013

Earl Burchatzki's Hole-in-One History

Recently, I was in New Hamburg, Ontario and specifically I was visiting Riverside Cemetery. 




While I have seen photos of Riverside Cemetery through websites such as Find-A-Grave, this was my first time visiting and searching for the gravestones of Ellen's ancestors who had lived and died in the area.

While wandering through the cemetery (on one of the hottest days of the year!), I came across the gravestone for Earl W. Burchatzki and his wife Grace A. Irvine. Neither Earl nor Grace have any family connection to Ellen or I but their gravestone gave more information about them than most. In addition to providing Earl and Grace's years of birth and death, their gravestone provided their date of marriage - September 29, 1945, likely I'm assuming soon after Earl returned home from military service in World War 2.




Okay, maybe that's not so remarkable in and of itself but the inscription on the reverse side of the gravestone shows the pride and love Earl (again I'm assuming) had for the love of golf. 

On the reverse side of the gravestone, neatly chiseled and preserved for future generations to see are the dates and lengths of the two holes on which Earl achieved a hole-in-one at the Foxwood Golf Course in nearby Baden, Ontario.




No comments:

Post a Comment